The Muslim Unity Center (MUC) is a non-profit, Islamic organization recognized as tax-exempt entity under U.S. Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3). The objective of MUC is to develop, support and promote an Islamic way of life and to ensure the emergence of an American Muslim identity. MUC affirms the principles of the social order established by the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him), including the establishment of a thriving and vibrant community free of ethnic, racial, cultural or national divisions. MUC's vision is based on the teachings of the holy book Al-Qur'aan and by the teachings of the Prophet (PBUH):
As it states in the holy book Al-Qur'aan: "You are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind, you enjoin Al-Ma'ruf (all that is good) and forbid what is Al-Munkar (all that is evil), and you believe in Allah" [Qur'an 3:110].
"The best among the people are those who benefit the people and "The best among you are those who have the best manners and character." [Bukhari]
Statement of Principles
- The Source of MUC's goals and way of life are derived from the holy book Al-Qur'an and the authentic traditions of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). Revered sources of enlightenment and inspirations may come from authentic sources as well, from the family of the Prophet (Ahlul-Bayt) and/or The Rightly Guided Khaleefah's (Abu Bakr, Omar, Uthman and Ali). Cultural, ethnic and nationalistic traditions are personal practices and are neither sources of Islam nor promoted by MUC.
- Islam is the divinely guided way of life from the Almighty God. Muslims identify themselves primarily as a community of faith and not as an ethnic group, race, color, or tribe. MUC does not promote activities with ethnic focus or overtones.
- Arabic is language of the holy book Al-Qur'aan, however the language of communication and conducting activities of MUC is mostly English.
- MUC does not promote a sect or school of thought; both are personal preferences and not a community policy. The affairs of Muslims should be handled through consultation, discipline and organization.
- MUC is committed to projecting and promoting Islam in an egalitarian and enlightened manner. Men and women are equally responsible to put forth the effort, develop and implement the policies and activities of MUC.
- MUC does not believe that segregation of the sexes is a guarantee of righteousness. MUC emphasizes modesty, purity of heart, clarity of conscience and adherence to the teachings of Almighty God and his Prophet (PBUH), as the key steps on the path to righteousness.
- MUC advocates the ethics and codes of Islamic behavior, while affirming kindness, compassion and respect for all fellow humans as cherished core values.
- There is no compulsion in religion as stated in the holy book Al-Qur'an. The role of MUC is to remind people to the message of Almighty God, not to compel. MUC does not judge people or classify Muslims. MUC aims to be an inclusive and inviting haven and a beacon of light guiding all of mankind.
- Islam is a way of life; all actions should serve the interest of Islam, Muslims in the U.S. and humanity at large. Preoccupation with political activities abroad is divisive and is inconsistent with the mission of MUC.
- MUC honors the constitution of the United States as the guiding legal principle of the nation and shall abide by all the applicable laws of the land.
MUC Non-Discrimination Policy
Equal Opportunity for Everyone!
It is the policy of MUC to provide equal opportunity and employment and promotion based on merit, qualifications and abilities. No person is to be discriminated against in employment or promotion because of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, military status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Any employee with questions or concerns regarding equal opportunity is encouraged without fear of reprisal to contact his or her Supervisor. In the absence of the Supervisor, inquires or complaints may be directed to the President of the board of directors at, 1830 W Square Lake Rd, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan 48302. Inquires about the laws and about the compliance may also be directed to the State of Michigan, Department of Civil Rights.
Productive Work Environment!
It is the policy of MUC that it will not tolerate inappropriate verbal or physical conduct by any employee which disrupts, harasses or interferes with another's work performance or which creates an intimidating offensive or hostile work environment. Because of MUC's strong disapproval of offensive or inappropriate sexual behavior at work, all employees must avoid any action or conduct which would be viewed as harassment, including: 1) unwelcome sexual advances or request for sexual favors; 2) verbal or physical conduct of a harassing nature; and 3) creating a hostile or abusive work environment. An employee who has a complaint of harassment at work by anyone, including supervisors must in a timely manner, bring the problems to the attention of responsible company officers. Employees may bring the complaint to the attention of the Supervisor, or if they prefer, to President.
All complaints will be handled promptly in an impartial and confidential manner as reasonably as possible. MUC will retain confidential documents of all allegations and investigations and will take appropriate corrective action, including disciplinary measures, when justified, to remedy all violations.
Policies are updated annually.